Why is my screen so dark: This issue is not an unusual one. Mainly when your machine becomes older, you can face this kind of problem. There can be multiple causes of this issue like faulty hardware, outdated drivers, outdated BIOS, and many more.
Even most of the people who just installed Windows 10, seemed to face this brightness issue. In simple words, OS settings and hardware issues can make your computer screen brightness windows 10 dark even on full brightness. However, when there is a problem, there is a fix also. You can try several ways along with a little patience, and you can easily fix it.
One should try the most straightforward fixes before even thinking about the complicated ones. Here we are going to suggest a number of which can help you a lot in this situation.
why is my screen so dark
1. Display driver
Brightness is just another subhead of the heading display. So, there is a considerable chance that maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the driver can resolve the problem. Most of the people question is how to adjust brightness on windows 10.
Your old driver files must be uninstalled before updating the new drivers or before replacing your old graphics card with a new one. Always remember updating drivers may solve your issue, but it is undoubtedly a risky process. That’s why it’s essential to be careful.
- Click on the start button
- Search ‘Device Manage’ and click it
- Look for ‘Display Adapters’ and click on it
- You will see the name of your display adapter
- Click on uninstall option
- Confirm your uninstallation
- Once the process is finished, restart your computer
2. Rollback display driver
If uninstalling and reinstalling the display driver is unable to fix the issue, then you have another option to work on, and that is rolling it back.
- Search for Device Manager and select it
- Select ‘Properties’ by right-clicking on the display adapter option
- Go to the ‘Driver’ tab
- Select the option ‘Roll Back Driver.’
- In the end, click on the OK button.
If you see the Rollback is inactive or grayed out, that simply means, there must be no drivers which can be rolled back. In this situation, download the latest driver from your computer’s manufacturer’s website.
3. LCD inverter
The LCD inverter is responsible for the backlight of your computer screen. When the LCD inverter gets old, you may see your computer dark even when the brightness is set in 100%. It happens because of the low voltage of the inverter. There is only one way to find it out, i.e., replace it.
There are several cases where computer users found BIOS as the root cause of the dimmed computer screen. If that is so, the solution is to update the BIOS. Before starting the update process, don’t forget to make sure that your computer has an internet connection.
- Find out the current BIOS version number. Write ‘msinfo32.exe’ in the search bar and click on the result.
- Open the system information window, find your current BIOS version and date, and memorize it or write it down.
- Again find out ‘msinfo32.exe’ and click on it.
- Now, your job is to find out ‘Processor’ in the system information window and note down the details.
- Make sure the BIOS, you are about to download, was made to suitably work with your computer’s processor.
- Now visit your computer manufacturer’s website and download BIOS updates. As we discussed before, you have to ensure that the BIOS update meant for your computer. That’s why don’t forget to read all the overview and system requirements, then download the BIOS update and save it.
- Install the BIOS update. Remember, while the update process is running, your computer display may go blank. This is normal, don’t restart or shut down your PC until the update is finished. Stay patient until then.
- After the installation, close if any program us open and disable the antivirus.
- Start the installation process by double-clicking on the BIOS file and follow the on-screen prompts.
- When the installation is complete, restart your computer.
5. Before window opens, check the display
Sometimes the brightness not working windows 10 issue may occur for a hardware program. Maybe the solution is lying in the startup menu.
- Shut down your computer.
- Press the power button to start it again.
- Swiftly press Esc key. Press it again and again until the ‘Startup menu’ appears.
- Select the option ‘F10 BIOS Setup’ and press enter.
- After that, you will see the BIOS menu. Check the display brightness here.
6. Hard reset
For removable battery computer
- First, switch off the computer and remove all the plugged devices, disconnect all the external connected peripherals, and lastly, unplug the power adapter.
- Remove the battery. Then press the power button and hold it up to 15 seconds. It will drain the residual electrical charge for its capacitors.
- Insert only the power adapter and battery in your computer; do not connect any other devices.
- When you press the power button, you will see the startup menu is opening. Select ‘Start Windows Normally’ and press enter.
- Now you can reconnect all the devices. Make sure to run Windows Update to update all device drivers.
For sealed or non-removable computer
- Turn off the computer and remove the entire plugged-in device like before and unplug the power adapter.
- Laptop brightness not changing, can be reset by pressing the power button and holding it for 15 seconds. So, after doing so, the plugin only the power adapter.
- Then start your computer by pressing the power button and select ‘Start Windows Normally’ and press enter.
- Now you can reconnect all the other devices and after the reset run Windows update as well as device drivers update.
7. Adapting brightness
- Click on the start button and type ‘Calibrate display color’ in the search bar and click on the result.
- Then click on the Next button in the opened window. It will open the ‘Set basic color settings’ screen.
- Now click Next again and open the ‘Hos to adjust gamma’ window. By clicking on Next, another window will open where you can adjust the gamma.
- Fix the color settings as per your choice.
- Press next when finished.
- Now another window will open named ‘ Find the brightness and contrast controls on your display.’
- If you want to adjust, and then do so, and if you don’t, click on the Skip button.
- Now adjust brightness using display controls and then click on the Next button twice and adjust the contrast settings.
- When you are finished, click next and open ‘How to adjust color balance,’ Just like before by clicking on next, the ‘Adjust color balance’ window will open. Here you can adjust primary colors accordingly.
- By clicking next, you will be redirected to a window where you can find the Finish button. Click on it if you think you are done.
- How to turn down brightness on windows 10
To be specific, in Windows 10, there is an eye-protect feature that works by dimming the display light and applying color filters to your screen. It may happen between certain time intervals. This feature can protect your eyesight, especially when you have to work for a more extended period.
A dim display can be quite a headache that can block you from getting your work done swiftly. It becomes more frustrating when you realize this problem is pretty difficult to troubleshoot. If your workplace is a laptop instead of a computer, some of the above methods may work equally. However, hopefully, the above techniques will be helpful for you.
Post You May Also Like